Sunday, June 22, 2008

I love you daddy

This weekend, I was at the grocery store and overheard a father and his preteen daughter one aisle over. It brought back so many memories of grocery shopping with my dad. She was trying to explain to him why she needed more shampoo. Apparently her brother used it all and is always telling her that her hair stinks. Her father answered (like my own dad probably would have)..."and yet, he uses your shampoo!" I managed to stay one aisle over through the entire store. Listening to them joking, laughing and enjoying each others company brought tears to my eyes. When I was at the milk aisle she was convincing him to get ice cream. Every time she would reach in, he would try to close the door. She just laughed and said " DAD stop!" When we got to the register, I overheard him say that they only came for milk and he realized they hadn't even gotten the milk! So as he rushed back to get it, I told the young girl how lucky she was. It seemed like they had a great relationship. I told her that she may not always understand him or appreciate his uncoolness, but that one day, she would be 29 years old and crying in a grocery store as she watched a father and daughter. I cried all the way home and couldn't wait to call my dad to tell him I love him.

I had a friend of mine who lost his mother two weeks ago. I worry about my parents health quite a bit. My father the most though. I am definitely a daddy's girl and can't imagine him not being here.

I have so many memories that I have made with my daddy. He was picked to do some kind of documentary about being a single father. We had a film crew follow us around. My dad taking us to school, him doing my hair, reading us bedtime stories, and going to the grocery store. I remember one father's day I wanted to make my dad breakfast in bed, but I wasn't allowed to use the stove. I knew my dad liked sunny side up eggs so I cracked an egg, stuck it in the microwave and waited. Looking back now I can't imagine how he ate that egg. It looked like one of those kids toy eggs for the kitchen sets.

I have always dreamed of my father daughter dance at my wedding. Probably just as much as I have thought about my wedding. I don't know if it's because I'm pushing thirty and my wedding clock is ticking or what, but I hear songs and think, that's what I want to dance with my dad to. I have so many memories of my daddy, but there are two I can't wait to make...him walking me down the aisle and our first dance. Here are some songs I've picked out that are great contenders, but wonderful father daughter songs. It helps if you turn off the music player on the right before playing these.

the first is Ronnie Milsap's I wouldn't have missed it for the world. This one has a special meaning. There was something going on at school and my dad had to miss it because of work. Afterwards he took me out for ice cream and this song was playing on the radio. Everytime I hear this song now, I think of how much my daddy did to take care of my brother and I.




This is Bob Carlisle's Butterfly Kisses- it needs no explanation. This is a really cute video of Disney fathers.




This is Stephen Curtis Chapman's Cinderella. This is another one that needs no explanation.




This is Heartland's I loved her first. I can definitely see my father understanding this song.





Tim McGraw's My Little Girl. I think my dad will understand the part where Tim says that "I know he'll say he's in love, but between you and me, He won't be good enough"




This is a song I stumbled upon called angel in my arms. It's not a well known song, but it is so beautiful and I would be honored to have this as "our song" for my daddy and me!




I love you daddy!

My thought for today, what is your favorite memory you have made with your father and what is the memory you still want to make??

1 comment:

Marine1Man said...

I read (and frequently re-read) this Blog all the time. Sometimes because I'm told to, but most of the time I just want to be part of my daughter's life. This time I need to leave a comment.
... Those memories of you and your childhood bring mostly smiles, good feelings and some good tears. But I'm also reminded of your birth, the story I know I've shared with you many times, but is also brought back to memories with this blog, and especially with the last song. The story again, in part, it reminds me that the labor started on New Years Eve afternoon (during football of course, hence one reason for her love of football) and as we arrived at the hospital just before midnight, we thoght we'd have a New Year's baby. They sent us home and told us if this was really time, we'd be right back. Labor continued off & on all New Year's Day (again during all the football games) and when we returned to the hospital that evening, being moved into a labor room, starting labor, Dawn's mother needed a focus point during contractions. There were various cartoon and other pictures on the opposite wall and ceiling, but the one that worked the best was an ANGEL. During breathing, we would repeat Angel, Angel, Angel, Angel ... Angel, Angel, over and over, quicking an slowing down as the contractions strenghtened, increased and then eased. I had a feeling, that God was part of that birth and was with us during those times, because part of that feeling was that this little blessing was going to be "Special" in HIS life's plan for this little gift, baby girl.
Also, we had only a few options for your name, but they were all discard when you were born for DAWN - born, Dawning of a new day, Dawning of a new year, Dawning of a new life, a Dawning a new life's purchase for and in GOD's will.
I LOVE YOU - then and now!!!
DAD